Dead Men Walking

Old Server Admin Section => SOG Archive => SOG War Room => Silver Oak Guardians => Archived Topics => The Clean Up => Topic started by: uglee on June 27, 2006, 01:59:11 PM

Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: uglee on June 27, 2006, 01:59:11 PM
http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.asp...n&T=1086821&P=1 (http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general-en&T=1086821&P=1)
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Padding on June 27, 2006, 02:05:10 PM
COOL

NEW SERVER HARDWARE..... I LOVE IT  :clap:
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: uglee on June 27, 2006, 02:27:22 PM
For those of ya who can't be bothered reading Blizz's post..... no game for 24hrs tomorrow.

Cold turkey ftw!!
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Claw on June 27, 2006, 02:28:21 PM
perhaps it wil help on their latency probs :D :D
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Padding on June 27, 2006, 02:29:54 PM
Yes.... 24-36 hours downtime due to PVP synchronization with other servers

So dont expect a raid tomorrow night in AQ, and maybe not even MC run thursday

On the good side, its really gonna help a lot getting the servers migrated to better hardware all over the place to fix the lag issues and help the pvp players
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Bastet on June 27, 2006, 02:36:14 PM
also note its not actualy us moving, but only 11 servers on this hub, they have to take another 100 odd realms offline to do it..... odd
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Knabbel on June 27, 2006, 02:36:19 PM
Take in consideration your friends and ignore list will be cleaned.......mmmm a palla doing the wrong thing? Cleansing the lists?

So peeps...time to clear out your lists and get rid of those peeps you met in the early days and don't have a damn clue who they are (I know I have some on the list).....

D.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: TeaLeaf on June 27, 2006, 02:40:53 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by Padding@Jun 27 2006, 02:05 PM
COOL

NEW SERVER HARDWARE..... I LOVE IT :clap:
[post=133783]Quoted post[/post]
[/b]
Hmmm, so where in the announcement was the bit where it said we are getting new hardware, or is that a 'best guess' as ot what is going to happen during the extended downtime?

TL.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Padding on June 27, 2006, 02:46:08 PM
I'm reading it from the announcement, where it says that they need to upgrade the servers to be able to cope with the new structure, so no it doesnt say that explicit but combined with the previous hardware upgrade statement, thats what i put into it
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: sheepy on June 27, 2006, 02:50:07 PM
at least it couldnt happen on a better day for me!

im working near manchester all day tomorrow and then as soon as I get back I will be going do the pub to play darts!
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: uglee on June 27, 2006, 02:55:10 PM
My guess is they aren't upgraded Aszune's server hardware as yet, but are cleaning out the hamster's cage and giving the big old wheel that they use to power the server a bit of a grease. All of this taking about 5 minutes, and giving the Blizz animal wranglers the rest of the day off to consider the comparative merits of sloths over rodents.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Sebas on June 27, 2006, 03:32:08 PM
Noes thursday is my last raid for three weeks, it must be on by than!
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Jamoe on June 27, 2006, 03:58:23 PM
I'll be moving house on Friday (fingers crossed)

whats the bets that I can get my phone line connected, find a new Broadband Provider and get BT out to connect it befor the servers are back up
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Bob on June 27, 2006, 05:39:17 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by Knabbel@Jun 27 2006, 03:36 PM
Take in consideration your friends and ignore list will be cleaned.......mmmm a palla doing the wrong thing? Cleansing the lists?
[post=133794]Quoted post[/post]
[/b]
The blue post has been edited to clearify that only the 11 realms that are being moved will have their friends/ignore lists cleaned.  In other words, doesn't count for us on Aszune :)
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Nefertem on June 27, 2006, 07:00:43 PM
Thank god shadow moon aint down.. Then I can still play WoW  :D
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Sebas on June 27, 2006, 09:29:29 PM
No, Haomarush is also down thats where I got my 30 Tauren Warrior :(
Now I cant play, GIB testserver!
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: kregoron on June 28, 2006, 09:19:22 AM
Where is everyone else hiding this dark day, i could go play on Runetotem, but would be fun to play with some guildies :)
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: StrontiumDog on June 28, 2006, 09:28:02 AM
Dammit can't belive I dodn't see this thread before...doh!

Since im away on holiday tommorrow morning I wont get my 'wow fix' before I go...boo hoo...
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Sazgul on June 28, 2006, 10:31:43 AM
Damn my off day today, and no wow..... *sigh*

And I sure hope they will compensate with 1-2 days extended. Im getting kinda tired of paying for the current service Blizz is providing.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: DuVeL on June 28, 2006, 10:35:21 AM
There's a game we play on these forums: CounterStrike : Condition Zero.
Maybe instead of going cold turkey on the gaming?  ;)
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Bastet on June 28, 2006, 11:10:27 AM
I dont have CZ and i wont play it enough to buy for this game. And tbh i would rather have an extra day down time and less lag then more lag sazgul.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Padding on June 28, 2006, 11:57:21 AM
QuoteAnd I sure hope they will compensate with 1-2 days extended. Im getting kinda tired of paying for the current service Blizz is providing

Some things need to get worse to get better. What blizzard really needs to improve is the time they are informing their users before the actual change. Its simply not good enough to know that there is a 24-36 hours outtage, only 24 hours before the actual process. Thats not professional enough.

As for the process itself, im all for Blizzard needing the time to fix things to make it better. It impossible to do these things without having some sort of time-window to fix things.
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Nefrion on June 28, 2006, 04:58:24 PM
ITS UP!
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: Bastet on June 28, 2006, 05:09:21 PM
Hurrah, ill be logging on shortly then
Title: Big old server downtime
Post by: furydwarf on June 28, 2006, 05:09:22 PM
weee we can play again i was realy bored :P