Ok with so many new-ish games flying around such as Arma II and BC2 which, if any, are we going to play for the LAN.
I think we need to start planning timings and schedules and defining the games may be a good place to start.
Any thoughts?
Well I am hoping to have a lesson in Arma2 at the LAN (now I have a pc able to run it), whether there's enough players to have a compo is another matter.
BFBC2 is definately going to be a strong contender as most of us have it.
CoD4 could have a good shout too.
The Deagle tourney is always popular as it's easy and quick.
Whatever you choose, we always have a laugh.:D
Tbh I would say that ArmA shouldn't have a comp at the Lan, mainly down to the fact we play co-op
I would be inclined to let it run similar to how the wow works and i'll organise some missions to run throughout the weekend
For bfbc2 I agree with blunt that a comp is a must
There should be a few racers about so a Lfs race should
Be staged, maybe if we are limited on time we could look at holding some of the comp's on the sat ?
Are we sure BFBC2 is widely owned? I know COD4 was more or less universal at the last few LAN2, but BFBC2 is quite new and might be a bit limited. Maybe a poll in the main forum would be an idea to gauge how many attendees actually have it or would be willing to buy it?
Just a thought. Oh and ArmaII has quite a learning curve so it would not be a game you could just buy, install and crack on with IMHO.
the only problem with putting a new game in to the format is that we will have to kick out an old one. Comps are all played on the saturday and therefore we simply have time constraints on us for planning. Arma is not a game that i can see us being able to set up a competition, simply down to it being co-op and therefore doesnt lend its self to competition easily. BFBC2 possibly we could but simply put what do we kick out of the running??? CS or COD4?
Tbh as BC2 does not have a dedicated server and as the hotel will not support 36 players connected to our main server then BC2 is little more than a pipe dream unless someone takes on the role of providing a cracked dedicated server.
Quote from: TeaLeaf;305619Tbh as BC2 does not have a dedicated server and as the hotel will not support 36 players connected to our main server then BC2 is little more than a pipe dream unless someone takes on the role of providing a cracked dedicated server.
:doh:
forgot about that:g:
How about we all load up BF2? I love being in a tank again:D
BF2 = no, sorry
the take up is no where near that which we have with COD4. competitions are ment to be as open to as many people as possible, similar game with less uptake is always going to loose out when it comes to lan games.
its all about amount of people able to play a certain type of game at the lan, altho I am buzzing a few ideas of diffrent types of competitions in my head to add a "twist" to the comps for the next lan.
Quote from: sheepy;305618the only problem with putting a new game in to the format is that we will have to kick out an old one. Comps are all played on the saturday and therefore we simply have time constraints on us for planning. Arma is not a game that i can see us being able to set up a competition, simply down to it being co-op and therefore doesnt lend its self to competition easily. BFBC2 possibly we could but simply put what do we kick out of the running??? CS or COD4?
Quote from: sheepy;305706BF2 = no, sorry
the take up is no where near that which we have with COD4. competitions are ment to be as open to as many people as possible, similar game with less uptake is always going to loose out when it comes to lan games.
its all about amount of people able to play a certain type of game at the lan, altho I am buzzing a few ideas of diffrent types of competitions in my head to add a "twist" to the comps for the next lan.
BF2: I was only dreaming mate.
We got a limited time for comps, so go with the popular games.
alhough I will make sure I have BF2 installed Just in case:D