PC always on or do you turn it off?

Started by uni, April 09, 2022, 05:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uni

I'm just curious what peoples habits are. Myself for the longest time have always left the PC on 24/7x365 (unless away on holiday or away overnight etc..). I would reboot it every now and again but other than that it never got turned off. With the price of energy going up I decided for the last few weeks to start turning off in the evening to see how much I could save.

So, do you:
1. Leave it on 24/7x365
2. Turn it off every night/when not in use
3. I used to leave it on all the time but now I turn it off

BrotherTobious

Only have it on when I am using it or leave it over night if doing a new backup etc.
"It's hard, but not as hard as Arma!!!" Tutonic
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchett

Chaosphere

I used to just sleep it whenever not in use, but never shut down.

Now it goes into sleep during the day, and I generally turn it off when going to bed / going out. I think this has evolved as I have an annoying audio bug after waking from sleep that I've never bothered to solve.

It's certainly easier now startup takes seconds! I used to sleep it to avoid the long wait to get into windows.
All our Gods have abandoned us.

DiseasedBunny

On when I need it, as chaos says now it loads into windows in seconds there’s no issue in waiting for it

Evilntwisted

on 24/7 so all the games update as a when not when I open the relevant app and there are a lot of them now adays. Also its so I old it sometimes takes a few a attempts to boot lol.

BrotherTobious

Quote from: Evilntwisted;448208Also its so I old it sometimes takes a few a attempts to boot lol.

I know how it feels :D
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon.." Terry Pratchett

Mikep1212

I've always shut my PC down when not in use.

Probably the electronic engineer in me not wanting the PSU to go up in smoke whilst i sleep :D

RogueTaylor

Always have turned it off, even at Lan when I feel like I am the only one who does turn it off :)

albert

Same, off, our bedroom is metre's from the PC desk and even on silent there is always something flashing or whirring. Laptop, I just shut the lid.
Cheers, Bert

BrotherTobious

Your not the only one who does that a  LAN mate

DiseasedBunny

Quote from: RogueTaylor;448212Always have turned it off, even at Lan when I feel like I am the only one who does turn it off :)

you know people will be randomly turning your pc off now 🤣

sulky_uk

Quote from: RogueTaylor;448212Always have turned it off, even at Lan when I feel like I am the only one who does turn it off :)

nope mine goes off as well, it was defo a thing to do with the amount of power trips in previous years

I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

TeaLeaf

With the amount of power a modern PC draws and the price of electricity, turn it off.  Now I need to get Dex to turn his off too!
TL.
Wisdom doesn\'t necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself.  (Tom Wilson)
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships. (Michael Jordan)

TheDvEight

Always off, unless I want to dowload some things overnight or have games update, which I don't do often since it causes me a rough sleep in anxiety-fueled thinking that my house will blow up:blink:
"Mira Mira on the wall who\'s the fairest of them all?" - Dickdastardly "it\'ll sting a lot" - Lesion

Mikep1212

Does anyone else who actually turns it off have fast boot turned off, so it actually closes everything down properly?