The Minecraft server is at the point where its future is in question

Started by sulky_uk, April 28, 2016, 08:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sulky_uk

      There comes a time in a games cycle that a decision has to be made on its viability, for minecraft that time has come. As senior game admin and in consultation with oldie and Toby, I have decided to do a couple of things with the server.

The server as it is now will be shut down, hopefully before the LAN. Don’t worry though a backup of the server will be made available for people to continue playing in single player mode. The back-up will be made available in 3 ways.

1) For all those attending the Lan next week and in October, it will be there to be passed around, probably on a usb stick.

2) For those not attending the LAN and who want a back-up, I will buy some DVD's and if people are willing to pay postage I will send it to them.

3) A cloud download option could be made available if requested

Now to the server itself, some members of the community have asked for the server to always be at the latest version, and also the possibility of having it in creative mode.

I have decided to as Patrick Stewart says "Make it so" as soon as oldie can get the server backed up and the back up verified, and killed the old server. Now users need to be aware that there will not be a map available (maybe in the future if it works). But hopefully when we set the initial spawn, users with unlimited resources will make it easy for people to find their way around.

BTW the rules that were in force for the old server will still stand, don’t destroy other peoples stuff, report accidental breakages, etc

One last point, this will be a trial for 2 months, if there are people using it then the server will stay, if not the server will be turned off for good, to free up bandwith. It’s now up to you the players to make or break this.

For members who kids play this can you make them aware please?

If people haven’t seen what is achievable in creative mode see the link below

http://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft/be...dible-projects

Its up to you guys now. I

f ive missed anything im sure Oldie and toby will edit this, but i was very tired last night.:)


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

Penfold

How big will the file be - anyone know roughly? Probably easiest to just dropbox it and then people can download it if they want. I have a few TB dropboxes so can host.

So just to clarify, we're backing up then killing the old server and then setting up a new server on creative mode?

Unless there's a reason not to, why not just back up the server as it currently stands and then flip the existing one to creative? Unless of course people want to start again??

OldBloke

"War without end. Well, what was history if not that? And how would having the stars change anything?" - James S. A. Corey

sulky_uk

Quote from: Penfold;412494So just to clarify, we're backing up then killing the old server and then setting up a new server on creative mode?

That was the general plan yes


Quote from: Penfold;412494Unless there's a reason not to, why not just back up the server as it currently stands and then flip the existing one to creative? Unless of course people want to start again??


We didnt really discuss this option, TBH I didnt know if you could do that, I read somewhere it caused issues, ill get back to you.


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

Penfold

That's fine. I'll upload it at the LAN when we're at the steak night or overnight then people can download it as needed.

I don't mind about the new vs existing server - just wondered in case people wanted to carry on. However in some ways a virgin map would be fun.

Is keeping it up-to-date a hassle? I want to balance the 'work involved vs players' as Oldie is pretty busy with our crap as it is.

OldBloke

Quote from: Penfold;412497... Is keeping it up-to-date a hassle? I want to balance the 'work involved vs players' as Oldie is pretty busy with our crap as it is.

I'm happy to keep it current while it's being used. However, as Sulky has already stated, it's going to be a fairly strict 'use it or lose it' policy.
"War without end. Well, what was history if not that? And how would having the stars change anything?" - James S. A. Corey

sulky_uk

Pen if you are happy, ill amend the lead post, to relect that a 3rd option could be cloud download. The dvd option may still be required for people who havent got unlimited downloads, as oldie reckons we could get it lower than 4.7g when zipped. A few MC players will be at the  lan so they can get it over the network or via usb.


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

Penfold


Gortex

I sure would like a copy. When are we going to kill the server completely?

I never did finish Isengard sadly but was fun building stuff.
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." "Never explain anything."

Liberator

How about, once the backup is finalised, we go on and have a night of destruction on our own creations.

TNT, fly and god mode granted to everyone through admin.

Make films and post them.

Gortex

fly and creative mode would be handy to finish off my project. Can we discus in detail at the bar during the lan and hold the axe for 10 days?
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." "Never explain anything."

sulky_uk

Lol great idea lib. I'm up for that..bye bye Atlantis and those domes oldie and I drowned building

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

sulky_uk

Gortex you would get a back up at the lan. In single player you can toggle to creative and finish it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.

albert

Quote from: sulky_uk;412533Lol great idea lib. I'm up for that..bye bye Atlantis and those domes oldie and I drowned building

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
If you're gonna get sentimental then why kill it in the first place lol
Cheers, Bert

sulky_uk

No sentimentality was intentionally harmed in our previous posts, it's because it's not working in its present form. A fresh server in creative mode was put forward by the young uns a while back. It will be up for 2 months, if it's not used then it will be shut down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk


I came into this world with nothing,
through careful management I\'ve got most of it left.